Is likely to affect every single one of us in some shape or form during our lives. It is not a sign of weakness to admit to having it but instead is a show of strength when you talk about it and take action to free yourself from it.
Depression can be triggered by sudden life events such as a bereavement or a loss of job rendering you helpless and or feeling hopeless. It can also be a gradual onset throughout your life, perhaps where you have been repressed or suppressed as a child, not being able to follow your dreams but instead have found your life dictated to by others around you leaving you unfulfilled and feeling empty. Or maybe you have been subjected to some form of abuse whether physical or mental which has taken it’s toll on who you are and your feelings on life.
Signs to look out for:
- Lack of concentration and unable to focus on normal activities as you once did
- Feelings of being unable to cope, feeling useless
- Worrying about things that would not normally bother you
- A change in appetite, temperament and a loss of sex drive
- Disturbed sleep; unable to drop off and/or waking soon after dropping off as your mind becomes active again
- Feeling empty and needing to fill the void by some other means; alcohol, drugs, gambling, shopping, food
- Having thoughts and feelings towards self harm and or suicide
Some periods of depression can be short lived once the cause and effect have been identified and have had time to heal, perhaps the loss of a loved one has been experienced where the bereavement cycle needs to complete itself. Depending on an individuals disposition and previous life events it maybe harder for some to work through than others. Some may not know or be able to pin point the cause of the depression.
In hypnotherapy we can review past events which identify the root cause for the depression and also address any associate dependencies such as alcohol or drugs. Together we can change the way you think and feel about these past events so they no longer have a hold on. You can let go of old limiting thoughts and beliefs and take back control of your life. Now is the time to reconnect with the real you.
Treatments also available for associated addictions such as alcohol, drugs, gambling and compulsive shopping which at the time appear to help with escapism but end up compounding issues.